The attack on the US mission in Benghazi, Libya, has killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
The attack has been described by some as the worst terror attack on US soil since 9/11, but has been widely condemned by the US.
Here’s what we know about the attack.
1:18 Video: The Benghazi attack is the worst terrorist attack on American soil since September 11, 2001 1:12 Two Americans killed in attack on Benghazi US ambassador Chris Stevens’ bodyguard, Tyrone Woods, was killed when the US ambassador and three others were attacked by gunmen in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Tuesday.
It was the first US death in the attack, which took place on the night of Tuesday (local time) when two gunmen entered the US consulate and opened fire on staff.
There were reports of three gunmen firing on the building.
The attackers killed Stevens, who was serving as the US’s ambassador to the United Nations in the capital, Tripoli.
“This attack has killed our ambassador, two other Americans, and wounded three others,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with our colleague, our fellow Americans, his family and our friends.”
2:18 The attack: A video of the attack released on Wednesday showed a gunman firing on staff members as they were arriving for dinner.
The US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, was murdered by gunmen outside the US Consulate on Tuesday night.
He was serving a US government role.
He is pictured here in November 2012.
2:40 The death toll: According to reports, Stevens and his wife, Susan, were attacked from behind.
One of the attackers is shown wearing a suicide vest.
The video then shows the ambassador’s bodyguard being killed.
Another shows a second gunman.
A third shows a third attacker.
“We will be releasing more information on the situation in the coming days,” a senior US administration official told reporters in Washington.
It is not clear what role the second attacker played in the assault.
The official added that the attackers were known to the embassy security.
The second attacker is said to have been wearing a white suicide vest and carrying a handgun.
He appears to have taken part in an attack earlier in the night and has been killed.
A US official said that the attacker was known to security personnel.
US Secretary of State John Kerry was scheduled to travel to Tripoli on Wednesday.
The White House has been urging the Libyan government to provide security for the embassy and the consulate.
“The attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi is an attack on all Americans, including Americans who are serving abroad,” President Barack Obama said in a statement on Wednesday morning.
“It has also a direct impact on American diplomatic missions around the world.”
More than two hours after the attack began, the White House released a statement saying that the attack was the “most tragic and deadly terrorist attack in modern American history”.
The statement came after President Barack Bush issued a statement in which he called the attack a “terrible and brutal attack” that killed four Americans and injured another 17.
More than three hours later, the Obama administration released a second statement.
It said it was “deeply saddened by the terrorist attack” in Benghazi and urged Libyan leaders to provide safe havens for Americans and help Americans in the region. 2